Sunday, September 21

War Games

Matt and I have been youth leaders for almost a year now.  I must say that my loyalty to the task had been waning.  With a baby around, I was overwhelmed with the task of motherhood, let alone the discipleship of 50 + kids in the youth group.  But, our youth activity last night helped to spur on an excitement and love for youth that I haven't always felt.  

WAR GAMES (with 120 kids - ages 13 - 18) - is our church's largest youth activity of the year! 


Two teams, GREEN and GOLD this year, face off on challenges like:

tug-o-war (with gelatin, corn syrup and spaghetti noodles in the middle)
american eagle
donut eating contest
manhunt
ultimate duck, duck goose

Me after losing the tug-o-war battle

The messiness is just too much fun!  


A local pastor gave a wonderful message of salvation at "half time" and many heard the gospel message that quite possibly had never heard it before.



Two of our awesome seniors - Keenan and Natalie (Gold team captains)



Matt was as crazy as ever!  
This is a "fly by" photo - he was hard to catch!

So...we are recovering today from a weekend full of youth and FUN.  There was a time when I didn't think those two words could go together.  But, I must say...

I love these kids!  God uses them to teach me so much about his sovereign grace.  In all of their awkwardness (which I remember all too well) I'm reminded that God's plan for us is not complete.  An added bonus: they genuinely love my daughter and minister grace and encouragement to me at times I would never expect it.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Your photos aren't showing up. :(

amber said...

Looks like fun! I'll have to get in touch with you about details. Sounds like something our youth group would love - although we don't have that many.

Lee and Candace said...

Looks like an awesome time! I miss doing stuff like that from youth group days!