Tuesday, February 2

Healthy Recipe...And My Kid Loved It!

Like every other mom on the planet, I'm always looking for healthy recipes that kids will eat. And love. As much as chicken nuggets. Ok, that might be a stretch. But I digress...

I spend a lot of my time watching the food network. You know, its something I can have on during the day that is wholesome, doesn't require my full attention, and I learn a lot from it.

Yesterday, while on the couch sick with strep throat, I was watching Giada at Home. I have to say, she's not my favorite one to watch, but she sure does makes some great, healthy meals - and who doesn't love Italian food anyways.

Of course, she was making a spectacular meal for her daughters' first birthday party, much grander than the pizza and cake we enjoyed for ours...but I digress again.

She made some sort of macaroni and cheese, which I versioned today, and wouldn't you know, Annelise loved it. So here is my version. Hope you enjoy!

Macaroni & Cheese - Healthy Italian Style

In a pan, soften onion and carrot over medium heat in olive oil. (I also added a half bag of frozen mixed veggies for additional health content!)

Boil water for your pasta of choice. (I used the multi-color spirals from a box mix I had in the cupboard.)

Add your pasta to the veggie mixture.

Drop 4 oz. fat free cream cheese over the top and add a few spoonfuls of the pasta water to help loosen and mix together.

Mix in 2 tablespoons butter.

Salt to taste.

Enjoy!

PS: I must note that everything BUT the broccoli was a big hit. She's still working on that.

1 comment:

The Parks Family said...

Rach was this on Giada? I totally watched that the other day! Sounds delicious. I might need to try it :)