Thursday, November 12

Doctor's Visit

Before I get into the update from the doctor, I did want to tell you that we tried using soy formula last night to see if Elli's condition improved.  Wouldn't you know she slept longer last night (full and satisfied) and woke up looking like a different baby.  No large red patches on her face.  Just dry skin.  I was amazed at the difference.

But, I still took her to the doctor, to get a fourth opinion.  He was bewildered.  Could be severe baby acne...but unlikely.  Could be an allergic reaction to the antibiotic...but why only on her face?  Could be an allergy to dairy coming from my breastmilk...but again, why only on her face?  Could be a combination of severe eczema, baby acne and cradle cap all in one.  So many questions...so little answers.  I told him about the limited success we had with the soy formula which peaked his interest.

The diagnosis:  Continue to try to soy formula for a week to see if she improves.  At that point, we can retest the breastmilk to see if there is any digression.  We're also going to try a steroid cream which treats eczema on some of the drier patches around her mouth.

Hmph.  Not exactly the outcome I was hoping for, but certainly more direction than I was given on Monday.  I like this doctor.  I think I'll keep him.

Now, off to bottle feed my baby and then pump.  How time consuming!

More to come...

1 comment:

running shoes said...

glad you got something to go on and that the Dr. was willing to hear you out and even give suggestions!!
Praise God.