Tuesday, November 10

Rash Update

I love medical mysteries...

When they are on shows like House or ER.

I hate them when they happen to my family.

I took Elliora to the doctor yesterday, fully confident that they would have a solution for her rash/acne/face disease.  Much to my dismay, the doctors (yes, they had to call in more than one) were unable to determine just exactly what this mysterious rash is.

One was convinced it was baby acne.  But, I quickly caused her to doubt, stating that the timing of my taking amoxicillin and the day the rash broke out was too coincidental.

The other had no idea, but encouraged me to stay away from the antibiotic for at least a year.  "If it were my kid, I wouldn't risk it."

But, neither offered me a solution in getting RID of the rash.  Which was my purpose in going to the doctor in the first place.

So, Elli woke up today with what looks to be a worsening condition.  I've been off the antibiotic for more than 4 days, drinking lots of water, and there is no improvement.  Today, her eyes are swollen and she looks like she has red hives.  Its almost like she got a sunburn from the inside out.  The areas that are the worst are dry and peeling - and fire engine red.  Poor thing.  Have any of your kids experienced this?

Please pray that she gets better soon.  Otherwise, we're back to the doctor demanding answers and a solution.

9 comments:

Pam said...

I have had that on my hands since I was pregnant with Evan. Seriously. No answers to what it is. Comes and goes. I am praying real hard for Elli that she isn't in too much discomfort and the Dr's can find a solution.

crystal said...

Rachel, my oldest Grant broke out in a horrible rash when he was approx 3 weeks old. He was allergic to dairy. He looked like a burn victim. It started on his face and then spread down his body. It originally looked like baby acne but then got so bad it was obvious it was something more. I'm assuming the Dr's would rule that out though, but something you might want to confirm with them. I was for sure he was going to get scars but once dairy was out of his system it cleared quickly. It didn't show up before 3 weeks because his body was too immature to show a reaction the allergy. I'll be praying for you and Elli both!

Angie, Jon, Ty, Wyatt & Levi said...

I agree with the allergy thing. Have you given her formula yet? Do you eat a lot of dairy? Either one of those could cause a reaction like that. Hope she gets better soon!

Paulina said...

Yep, Claire had a rash which I thought was baby acne (she was never swollen or burnt looking) but it was a consistent rash on her face. Once I stopped dairy it cleared up. It was like almost immediate. I don't think hers was as bad as an allergy, but she was definitely sensitive to it! I pray that she clears up soon and you have an answer!

The Talberts said...

I second what the others said - the allergy (specifically dairy, in your diet or in formula) could be the culprit. Giving up dairy would be the first thing I'd try. From my personal experience, doctors don't seem to take you too seriously when you start talking about allergies in infants. It seems like they'll try to find anything else to blame it on that they can treat.

Lee and Candace said...

I don't know about the dairy, but Isabel has had allergic reaction like that from an antibiotic and I've seen it in a friends baby too (rash, hives,etc.), and got it several days after she had started taking it. I'll be praying for you. I'm sure that is very discouraging to not know what is happening to your sweet little girl.

crystal said...

Rachel, Candance's comment just triggered a memory. My neice was allergic to an antibiotic and also looked sunburned, likes rashes all over her body and was actually hospitalized it was so bad. Anyway, she was taking it directly and not just getting a diluted version through breastmilk. But it took several days for it to clear so hopefully it is just a bad reaction to the medicine. And will clear quickly. My ped knew right away when he looked at Grant it was a milk allergy so I am guessing that with all those doctors they would have known if it looked like the typical milk rash. Sorry, I know from experience its beyond stressful. Praying....

Liz K said...

oh Rachael! That's so disconcerting as a mom! Prayed for you this morning about it! I haven't the foggiest of what it could be. Hope you get answers soon!

Kara said...

I have been trying to read your blog for days! For some reason it wasn't loading up or something- dumb computer.
I love weird medical things, too, but not when it comes to our babies! I sure hope they can figure out what it is.